German Style Green Kale (Gruenkohl)
2 lbs fresh green kale
1 small onion, diced finely
3 tablespoons bacon grease (preferred) or 3 tablespoons lard
1 teaspoon salt
2 dashes white pepper, to taste
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch granulated sugar
1/4 litre hot beef broth
1 lb bratwurst, optional
- Wash the kale in lukewarm warm very well several times to remove all grit and dirt- do not dry them off- leave them dripping wet.
- Remove the hard stems from the leaves and then place the kale into a pot, put the lid on, and let it cook over medium heat until it wilts- this won't be terribly long.
- Drain in colander and then dry the leaves completely.
- Coarsley chop the kale.
- Heat the bacon grease in a skillet, add onion and cook until brown, stirring often.
- Add the kale to the pan, along with salt and pepper to taste, a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, and a pinch of sugar.
- Add the beef broth to the vegetables and stir to mix.
- Cover and let cook 45 minutes- it should get very, very tender and will be very, very soft.
- If you prefer, briefly cook some bratwurst in hot water according to the package directions, then add them to the pot in the last 15 minutes of cooking time.
- Check seasonings again before serving.